Living Joyfully Ever After Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Thursday, November 17, 2016

Lessons Learned from Wearing Natural Hair

As I said in my last post, I have reached the two-year mark in my natural hair journey. It wasn't easy but I've learned a lot along the way

Here are some of the lessons I've learned from the last two years.



 I thought I would have beautiful 3b curls that I could just wash and go just like every girl on IG.


But there is more than one curl pattern and every curl pattern can be beautiful including my super tight 4c curls that shrink up into a tight TWA after each wash. 




Unlike relaxed hair, natural hair takes waaaaay more time and work. 

But all the detangling, all the washing and co-washing, all the moisturizing and deep conditioning, all the styling, it's all worth it.





The results always a bit different, maybe because hair is constantly growing or humidity (AKA the devil). Whatever the reason, don't waste time trying to copy another person's style or even your own past styles. Just embrace the unexpected.




All the natural girls on IG seem to have perfectly coiled hair. What's their secret? Besides kinky coil-ly wigs and extensions, it's lots of product. Gels, curly puddings, setting lotions, edge tamers are what separates you from great curls.




Up, down, curly, straight -- there is so much you can do with natural hair. 
I can have any style I want.



I never wanted to wear my hair natural before. But this journey has taught me to love and embrace my hair no matter what it looks like. 


This is the second entry of Hair Week. Click HERE to read the first entry, my year two length check.
SHARE:

No comments

Blogger Template by pipdig