Living Joyfully Ever After Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Monday, June 2, 2014

Birthday Thoughts

Every birthday is a new opportunity to reflect, reassess and set new goals. My 31st birthday was Thursday so I took some personal days to celebrate. During my time off I reflected on the blessings I've received in the first 30 years of my life. Traveling to Europe, graduating from my dream college, getting my first journalism job, working as teacher, meeting and marrying my husband, living in a row house are achievements I never thought I could or would accomplish as a child. Reflecting on those moments bring me joy and remind me how blessed I am.

Those high points also reminded me of the low point I endured on to the way to accomplishment. I remember feeling like the odds were against me and that I could not catch a break. I can recall vividly the temptation to give up and accept my circumstance as the best I could to do -- i.e. settle.

I still feel that impulse to settle for comfort rather than growth, past glory rather than future promise.

These words spur me on:  "Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful." - Hebrew 10:23

The word "hope" implies that one is looking toward the future so I definitely need to reassess any plans to settle.

As I reset my goals, I consider these words also taken  from Hebrews 10: "You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised."

As I enter my 31st year of life, I am setting goals to push past present struggles, and recognize and accomplish God's will for my life.


SHARE:

No comments

Blogger Template by pipdig