Living Joyfully Ever After Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Sunday, December 27, 2009

GPS: Allowing God to lead us to greatness for the New Year

Merry Christmas to all the Single Business-Minded Women out there! I hope that your Christmas was joyous and filled with giving.

This Christmas I gave my dad a GPS system. Having one, I know what a God-send they can be. A friend once asked me, "Can't you go anywhere without your GPS?!" The answer is truly no! As a reporter, the only way I could confidently take on any assignment is if I knew my GPS was in the car.

As I read over the Christmas story, I reminded that God is the ultimate GPS system.
In the first two chapters of Matthew, you can see that the birth of Jesus, from His family tree to His birthplace, was a perfectly-planned event that was thoroughly directed by God.

He led Mary, an ordinary Jewish woman engaged to be married, to a life of great promise -- the mother to the Messiah. "Behold the virgin shall be with child and bear a son and they shall call His name Immanuel, which is translated God with us" -Matthew 1 v 23.

He led Joseph, an ordinary Jewish man, to overcome his fears of public scandal and be an usher to the Lord Jesus' grand entrance into this world. " ... Behold an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream saying, 'Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit.'" -Matthew 1 v 20

He led the wise men, men of much learning, to bear witness to greatness: The emergence of the Savior of all mankind. "An when they had come into the house, they saw the young Child with Mary His mother and fell down and worshiped Him ..." -Matthew 2 v 11.

Yes, God is a pro at leading men and women to their great destinations. That's great news for the SBMW whose life seems to be a confusing maze of possible opportunities, career paths and decisions. We don't have to know where to go or when to take the left turn. We just have to be willing to be led, to let go of the map and let God give us turn by turn directions.

I know it's hard. Guys aren't the only ones who have a problem with asking for directions. Most women like to be in control, especially when our careers are at stake. We are taught to appear, act, and be in control of the situation at all times. So it can be a challenge to concede to anyone including God that we need to be led. And that's too bad because God is in the People-Seeking business. He's seeking people who want to be led, not to ruin or mediocrity, but to greatness. Remember Jeremiah 29 v 11: "'For I know the thoughts that I think towards you,' says the Lord. 'Thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope."

With the New Year quickly approaching, now is the best time to switch over to God's kind of GPS. This New Year allow yourself to be led, not just to here or there, to the greatness of His will.

During Your Quiet Time, Read: Matthew chapters 1 and 2.

After Reading, Meditate on These Things: When was the last time I heard the Lord's voice directing me through my day? When I hear His voice, do I listen? What steps can I take to my foot off the gas and stop to ask God for directions? Pray for God to renew your mind and make you more sensitive to his voice. Rededicate yourself to Him and seek His guidance in all that you do.

If you have read this and you do not have a personal relationship with God the Father through Jesus Christ the Son, the hurdle you need to clear is your trust issue. On the road, if we don't trust someone's directions, we don't follow them. It's the same way spiritually. The only way Jesus can take the lead in our lives is if we put our trust in Him.

And really, who is better to put our trust in? God planned and orchestrated the birth of Christ, and later His death, to clear away all the sin that keeps us from having a relationship with Him. Wow, He's truly in love with us. He's the perfect one to lead along the road of life.


Pray this prayer:

Dear God,

I am through be lost along life's road. I would like for you to lead me to the greatness of your will. I trust and accept the birth and sacrifice of your son Jesus Christ to create a pathway to you. Thank you for coming into my life and taking the lead. In your name, amen.
SHARE:

No comments

Blogger Template by pipdig