Hurricane Sandy has kept me and my husband indoors for two days. Two WHOLE days. Believe me when I say you don't truly know someone until you have spend 48 hours with them in a confined space.
So what to do when you're stuck together during a storm? David and I struggled answer this question. Here were our fresh and fun exploits during Hurricane Sandy.
Together We ...
-Watched each other favorite TV shows
-Ate a big breakfast
-Read the Bible
-Laughed at the newscasters reporting in the flood waters
-Took a walk in the hurricane (We wanted to see what it was like)
-Took a nap
-Went "out" for dinner and a movie (We dressed up and met a the table for a candlelight dinner then watched a movie on the couch.)
-Caught up on work
-Recounted our childhood
-Chatted with family
-Created a new soup recipe:
Curried Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup
2 Large sweet potatoes, cut and cubed
2 Carrots, cut and cubed
2 Sprigs of fresh thyme
1 Tbsp of curry
1/4 Tsp of Cinnamon
1 Cup of rice
Chicken or Turkey Sausage, chopped
5 mushrooms, chopped
1 1/2 Cups of half and half
1. Combine cinnamon, thyme, curry, sweet potatoes and carrots in pot, add enough water to cover and set to boil.
2. Prepare rice in a separate pot. Set aside.
3. Saute mushrooms and sausage until the mushrooms are translucent and sausage bits are cook through. Set aside.
4. Remove the pot with sweet potatoes and carrots from the stove once chunks can be pierced with a fork.
5. Remove the sweet potatoes and carrots from the pot using a slotted spoon and puree using a food processor or a food mill. Strain the remaining water and set aside.
6. Combine puree and half and half in pot. Ladle in the sweet potato/carrot stock while stirring the puree until the soup reaches the desired consistency.
7. Stir in rice, mushrooms and sausage.
8. Add salt and pepper to taste.