Living Joyfully Ever After Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Friday, January 4, 2013

My New Resolution: Love Like Never Before!


Every New Year is a blank slate and a new chance to do something extraordinary. What can be is more extraordinary than love!

Love is so often talked about as an elusive noun (person, place or thing) that everyone wants to have. I am blessed to have the persons:, my handsome husband and our supportive friends and family. But this year I am challenging myself to actively embrace love the verb.

I like to think that I display some love characteristics: I'm generally kind to my loved ones, and cordial those who cross my path. But now that I'm reading Hayley DiMarco's book The Fruitful Wife, I wonder how deep is my love? Do I only love when it's convenient or easy?

"Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way. it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends." - 1 Cor. 13:4-8

The challenge is in the last sentence: Love never ends! The sentence implies that we don't get a vacation or a mental health day when it comes to actively loving others. So I should be patient and kind even on stressful day. Or, resist the urge to insist things go my way. (So tough when all I want is a foot rub!)

As DiMarco writes, "Love is less about how I feel, but  more about what I do. It isn't about getting, but giving. It isn't about reward, but sacrifice. And it isn't about excitement but endurance."

 This kind of love is hard work! But I think it would be worth it in the New Year to share the divine, unconditional love that has been given to me with those who mean most.
SHARE:

No comments

Blogger Template by pipdig