Living Joyfully Ever After Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Thursday, September 10, 2015

My Latest Obsession: Crystal Lewis' Newest Album

I love Crystal Lewis' newest album. It is a meaningful mix of funky church and substantive words with great collaborations from artists like Anthony Evans thrown in.



Lewis has been one of my favorite singers for as long I can remember (since the early 90s). If you've heard Kirk Franklin's Lean On Me, then you've heard her sing.  

 Lewis' voice has the perfect amount of sass and range. A born-again Christian, her lyrics in songs such as 'Beauty for Ashes' and 'Jesus is Coming' are always so impactful. 

So when she launched a Kickstarter campaign to independently release a new album, it was a no-brainer for me. Two years later I finally have a signed advance copy of her album! 











This self-titled album did not disappoint. Lewis is in her element when she's passionately singing along with the keyboard, drums, and electric guitar.

Headlining track "Be Alright" will have you have on your feet clapping and swaying like you are in church. It's message of "It's gonna be alright" is perfect for bumper-to-bumper rush hour traffic.

The instrumentals alone make songs such as "Faithful" memorable. I was humming the chorus after just one listen.

But don't be fooled, there is plenty of substance within each line and every verse.

I found myself really identifying with the dream-chasing, anxiety-busting message of  track six, "Moving On."

Verse one goes "I want to move on from this. I want to be adventurous. I can't grow if I stay. I want to move on to what could be. My heart is full of dreams. I want to be brave and work on me. Scared to death of failing but I'll never let that keep me from running this race with a patient, steady, active faith. Scared just won't do, my eyes are fixed on you."

"Beginning Again" has a catchy chorus that really drives home what it is like to be a Christian who is constantly discovering and overcoming life's pitfalls.

Even "Seat at the Table," for all its feel-good music and joyful background vocals, cheerfully takes on the heavy subject of friends and family members who passed on.

The long and short of it is YOU NEED TO GET THIS ALBUM!  IT IS GOOD.

It will be available via online retailers such as iTunes and Amazon and streaming outlets such as Apple Cloud and Spotify Sept. 11.
 


SHARE:

No comments

Blogger Template by pipdig