Living Joyfully Ever After Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Thursday, August 30, 2018

AfroPunk 2018

Since the AfroPunk festival began popping up online and on my Instagram feed, I've been dying to go and figure out what it's all about.



This year I got to go with my sweet sister, Sonya Marie, and let me tell you .... my mind is blown!



















What's so amazing about this two-day concert  festival cultural event is that you see black people really expressing themselves through art, music, dancing, dressing, and even through double dutch.

A mother and her two daughters just randomly started playing jump rope outside one of the stages and a group of us just started watching and jumping in.

Here's my sister taking her turn.




Also there are so many amazing people. I'm slightly reserved and in my head ALL THE TIME (that's another post) but even I made some great connections.





I met business woman and all-around creative Christina (Chrismiss_ on Instagram) while vibing out at one of the DJ booths. She was so sweet, and her dress was amazing. Also her hair is neon yellow!






I chased down this grey haired beauty because she reminds me of my mom. Her smile was so bright and her hair so popping I felt I needed to get her picture. We talked for a bit, and I learned that she is a clothing designer.

Her online shop is Sofistafunk The Skirt Co. Check out the store and read her story on her blog. It's so inspiring. Also follow her on IG. Her handle is funkingafter50

There were also so many good people my sister and I met while waiting for artists to take the stage, dancing to trap music and sharing blankets and food.

I gave out my number twice: first with a girl we shared a Lyft with who just finished an internship and was looking for a job at a news station. I told her about the NAHJ and SPJ. 

The second time I gave my number to a hair stylist who is thinking about moving to Maryland. I told about some communities around the DMV and told her to hit me up when she comes to town.

Did I mention how great the music was? I have to admit the musical line-up was my biggest incentive. Jaden Smith, Tyler the Creator, Erykah Badu, Miguel, H.E.R., Janelle Monae were all scheduled to perform this year. (Jaden Smith and his mom's band pulled out at the last minute.)

It was tough trying to get to all the concerts. I missed Pusha T and Tyler the Creator waiting for Janelle Monae and Erykah.

Sonya missed Daniel Ceaser and The Internet waiting for H.E.R (who was incredibly late ... like Lauryn Hill late.)

                                             

But all the concerts we did see were great! Miguel and Janelle Monae really did the thing... 







Especially when Monae sang "PINK" Love that song!


                                        
It was my second time see Erykah Badu in concert but she was just as sassy as ever. Especially when she sang "Green eyes" and began randomly cussing her ex's girl. I could have died laughing... It lasted like 5 minutes!






And of course She had an amazing hat on!

See more pictures and video of the concerts on my Facebook page.


SHARE:

No comments

Blogger Template by pipdig